My Grandmother

When I was a little girl I use to love spending time with my grandmother.. She is what most people in the south would consider "A Southern Belle".. So prim and proper, and had a hand bag and shoes to match every outfit.. As a young girl, this was awesome, She was and still is my IDOL...
My parents moved her in their house almost two years ago, she was having a hard time remembering things.. My goodness if God graces me to live to be 86 years old, I think I would have a right to forget things too.
My parents aren't able to leave the house together. So today I went to spend time with my grandmother, and it gave my parents some time away.
As I looked at this frail little woman, trying to figure out just who I was.. I was remembering the times when I was young and she and my grandfather lived in Memphis Tn, and I couldn't wait until summer to go and visit.. My Mom would let my brother and I go for two weeks... And that was the best two weeks of our lives. She lived down the street from Elvis Presley...

One weekend while visiting, Elvis was out in front of Graceland riding his horse, and they opened the gates and let people in for autographs and just to look at him... well I guess I was around 12 or 13 at the time and of course I was just happy looking... But NOoo this Prim and Proper Grandma, started yelling... Elvis, Elvis, I want you to meet my granddaughter... And she kept pushing me foward until I was right beside him.
All of a sudden she grabs her shoes off her feet and gave them to him to autograph.. I have never seen that part of her before, but it will be etched in my memory til I die...

She don't know me, but I know her and to me thats all that matters.

2 comments:

Nancywithajones said...

GIRL YOU SOOOO NEED TO SCRAP THAT!!!

Unknown said...

I agree with Linda! That's such a fabulous story ... you definately need to scrap it!